New Balance Women's Summit Unknown V3
Since its inception the New Balance Summit Unknown has been a staple shoe for the runner looking for a light and fast but not necessarily a minimal shoe. Built on the same last as the popular 1400 road shoe, the Summit Unknown was a bit like a trail racing shoe. However, with the 1400 now gone and FuelCell midsoles taking over from RevLite midoles in the lightweight trainer category, we knew change was coming.
The new V3 is still the lightest, most responsive trail runner in the NB line up, but it is different. Built on a new last (PL6 versus NBJ) the shoe should fit more people as it is less curved and not as slim. It also has moved to a FuelCell midsole that will give a softer feel than the old RevLite midsole which has pretty much become obsolete. And finally we also move to a move common 6ml heel to toe drop (from 10ml) and get a more burly outsole which should be better for our west coast trails.
- Midsole Drop – 6mm
- Heel Stack – 30mm
- Forefoot Stack – 24mm
- Weight – 8.3oz
- FuelCell midsole foam gives a cushioned, responsive feel.
- Rock Stop Plate disperses pressure and helps protect the bottom of the feet on rocky terrain.
- Hydrohesion rubber outsole provides solid grip in the wet.
- 4.5mm lug depth.
- Bootie upper constructions gives a glove like fit.
- Gusseted tongue designed to help keep debris out.